Side Effects of Birth Control Pills
Some common side effects:
• light bleeding between menstrual periods,
• skipped periods,
• weight change,
• increase in vaginal infections
• spotty darkening of the skin on the face may appear and may be permanent
• hair loss.
The most serious side effect associated with the birth-control pill:
¨greater chance of blood clots,
Other serious side effects:
· worsening of migraine headaches,
· gall bladder disease,
· increase in blood pressure,
· an extremely rare liver tumor and
· some birth-control pills may cause changes in the levels of fatty substances in the blood.
Unwanted Hair Growth:
• Exogenous Androgens - Sometimes a person taking medications for hormone therapy (Estratest, danazol), body
development (such as anabolic steroids and body-building supplements) or to control pregnancy (birth control pills
containing norgestrel) can develop abnormal hair growth. Even certain hormone-containing skin creams (used to treat
specific conditions) can be absorbed into the bloodstream and result in hair growth.
Compiled by Deepak Sarkar, www.kolki.com